Daily Update – March 19, 2020 – 5:30 p.m.
- We have 2 patients in Forrest General Hospital and 3 patients in Highland Community Hospital who have tested positive for Coronavirus per the MS State Department of Health Lab.
- Test Kit availability remains at a strain. We have procured an order of 1500 kits for Forrest General to arrive and be in use on Monday, March 23, 2020.
- Announcement from MSDH!
Elective Cases: The MS State Department of Health has announced that physicians, hospitals and medical centers must defer elective surgical and diagnostic procedures until COVID-19 spread has been diminished and the supply of protective medical equipment is restored. Physicians and providers will be rescheduling non-urgent medical appointments for a later date. Likewise, patients should reschedule any non-essential procedures, surgeries or medical visits until the threat of COVID-19 is diminished.In light of the MSDH announcement to defer elective surgical cases and non-urgent medical appointments, many clinics will be offering telephonic and telemedicine (video) appointments to insure that patients have access to their physicians for chronic disease management. These visits are necessary to keep patients healthy even when they are unable to physically visit the doctor’s office.
- Emergency Blood Drive!
We are in critical need of blood. Although we understand the need for social distancing, this has created a shortage in blood supplies due to fewer donations. We have a big need for Type O specific blood, but all types are needed. Please see dates, times and locations below:
Forrest General Hospital – Friday, March 20 and Saturday, March 21, 2020
Adeline Parking Lot (across from Forrest General Parking garages on Adeline Street)
7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Orthopedic Institute – Monday, March 23, 2020
OI Parking Lot
7:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m Pine Grove – Monday, March 23, 2020
Pine Grove Campus Parking Lot
1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If you gave blood at the last FGH blood drive on December 10 and 11, 2019, you can still give one unit. You will not be able to give double units due to the lack of time that has passed since the last drive.
At the drive, there will be personnel to let you know if there is a wait. If there is a wait, they will take your cell number and text you when it is your turn. This will allow you to wait in your vehicle, in order to keep appropriate distance.
- Cough and Fever Clinic:
The Cough and Fever Clinic has been running full steam seeing in excess of 100 patients a day. This continues to be a very productive and helpful service.
Please remember that the Cough and Fever Clinic, a partnership of Forrest General Hospital and Hattiesburg Clinic, is now open at Hattiesburg Clinic’s Immediate Care Cloverleaf location. (Please reference 3/16/20 update below for detailed information.)
- Additional Updates:
- Tables and chairs have been removed from the Forrest General cafeteria to assist with social distancing. Hospital staff should not eat in large groups. Do Not Add Chairs or Pull Tables Together. No more than 4 people should sit at booths or tables. The cafeteria continues to be closed to the public.
- When employees use the cafeteria, they will be asked to swipe their badge or credit card to prevent multiple people handling badges and credit cards.
- Please note that Forrest Health still has adequate personal protection equipment (PPE) for staff. We are not without PPE as some rumors have indicated. This includes, N95 masks, surgical masks, gowns and gloves. Staff should continue to protect PPE so that it is available for staff and patients.
- Controlled access at hospital entrances continues to be in place. (Please reference the 3/16/20 update for Forrest General visitor and employee information and the 3/17/20 update regarding outlying facilities: Highland Community Hospital, Marion General Hospital, Jefferson Davis Community Hospital, Walthall General Hospital, and Pearl River County Hospital & Nursing Home.)
- Employees should enter and exit from the two designated employee entrances only. (See 3/16/20 update below for details.) Make sure you have your ID Badge.
- Effective Friday, March 20, 2020, at 6 a.m., Forrest General Hospital’s building at 1414 S. 28th Ave., Hattiesburg, which houses Patient Accounts, Health Information Management, and Home Care, will begin implementing a Controlled Access policy similar to what is in place at the main Forrest General campus. All individuals that enter this building, employees included, are required to be evaluated before entry is allowed.